You can’t move these days without seeing or hearing an ad about a car scrappage scheme. What I can tell you is that AXA is giving a €100 discount on car insurance to all existing and new customers, who avail of the government ‘Scrappage Scheme’. It really is ’money for old rope’.
Colm McGrattan, Director of Business Operation at AXA says “As a strong supporter of road safety in Ireland, AXA welcomes any scheme that will take old unsafe cars off our roads and encourages people to buy new safer cars with a high NCAP rating”.
What do I need to know about the Government scrappage scheme?
This scheme kicked off on 1st January 2010 and will run for one year. Here are just a few things about the scheme that might be of interest:
- You must purchase a ‘Category A’ vehicle with a tax band of A or B.
- The vehicle you are scrapping must also be a ‘category A’ vehicle over 10 years old.
- Cars eligible for scrappage must have been registered to the owner for at least 18 months prior to scrappage and must be scrapped 60 days before or after the new car is registered.
- The used car must have a valid NCT certificate or one that expired less than 90 days before being scrapped.
- Finally the car must have been insured for at least 12 months in the 18 months prior to being scrapped. This scheme will run for one year from 1st January 2010.
To find out more about the government scrappage deal I found the Revenue’s Scrappage Scheme FAQ’s very useful.
How can I get my €100? – ‘Show me the money!!’
To get your hands on €100 discount you can call AXA at 1890 282820 or drop into any AXA Branch where you can take out a new car policy or renew your existing car policy with us. The only thing that you need to produce to us is a letter from a dealership confirming your purchase under this scheme – so don’t say I didn’t tell you.
Brought to you by AXA Car Insurance Ireland